Thursday, 2 July 2020

Roads done...

So, roads are painted, grey stone with dabs of green and mud wash, and streaks of sepia wash. I added some earth and grass on a couple to represent a lack of maintenance.


I also did a some horse dung that hasn’t been cleaned up yet...


Quite happy with how the junctions look, they work without the additional road as well.


Tuesday, 23 June 2020

Roads...

Some roads for a more built up rural area. These are actually designed for the 15mm Sword and Sorcery range from Crom’s Anvil, designed to be a long abandoned ancient roadway ala Conan, but the size meant they would work for my 28mm Folk Horror stuff as narrow lanes (going too wide would not be ideal either with my small skirmish table and they are by coincidence the width of the gateway on my Manor House). Plus they’re good value and Michael is a decent bloke. 28mm slotta base for scale. 


So, they are available as straights, curves or road ends. I sanded down the underside of the road ends and added a bit of 1mm plasticard so I could extend a broken trackway and dirt carriage ruts to run into the grass of the table. I took a quick press mould of some of the kerbs and slabs, and added some green stuff kerbs and slabs further into the grass. The greenstuff was the end of a roll and not very fresh, so not sure if it’s as good as it could be, painting will tell.

One of the straights was actually shorter than the others, not sure why (EDIT: turns out there are two different straights, I just happened to get one of the shorter ones and the rest the longer ones) but as I planned a T-junction anyway, I cut that up and pondered long about how to attach it. The sanding down and adding plasticard trick is a major pain so ended up ditching that plan and figured I’d just replace the kerbs in a stretch with flatter stones as a sort of pseudo gutter. Luckily I had a bag of architectural freebies from Fenris Games that included flat stones, some of which are perfect for the kerb width (I also used a couple of the road ends).


I’ve kept the cut down straight section to allow for a bit of variety on the layout. Ideally I’d also like to add some squat Romanesque corner stones at junction, but waiting on new greenstuff.

Monday, 6 April 2020

The Mad Mummers

Part of the Mad Mummers for my Folk Horror project... crazed performers and morrisers...


The first chap is the King/Fool, a Warlord Games Agitator with a head from Statuesque Miniatures asylum inmates (there are so few smiling heads out there - annoyingly my rusty paint skills has kind of lost the maniacal grin and given something a bit more gentle, still mad, but more deluded). Fools bladder from greenstuff and a wooden crown from plastic tube, with spiky bits filed into it. Very chuffed with him.

Next is the Strawbear from Crooked Dice, simply a delight to paint, simple and clean. Lovely mini.

Finally a masked fellow, a Redoubt Miniatures figure that I’ve had for years. He got a new head and a greenstuff mask added. He had a comedy hump for while, ala the Wicker Man, but I think it’s better without.


So, these and the ghosts are the first minis I’ve painted for a few years, these chaps came out a bit dark I think, compared to my usual style... probably a bit heavy with the washes...

Sunday, 5 April 2020

A little piece of scatter


Nothing really fancy, just been sitting waiting for painting far too long... GW stump and ace, matchsticks for logs... and getting a decent clean cut wood colour took far too much effort.



Phantasmagoria

Like many I’m sure, I got the first two issues of Mortal Realms part work from Games Workshop, the shitty Sigmarines aside, I was definitely going in on the spooky stuff offered by the Nightgaunts. These were the banshees from issue 2, but I didn’t go full grim dark and just wanted floaty sheet types, so the bodies and the overly done bases went in the bits tray...


The observant amongst you will notice they are only two of the set of four that comes with the set (of course I got two issues at that price)... I had tried converting some to get some variety, but that wasn’t very successful and mistakes were made. In fact the one travelling through the gravestone was the only successful bit of fiddling I did, wish I’d done that with the others rather than having the ground contact thing on the others. The tail end of the sheet through the stone is from one of the bodies, that one was quite badly cut up by the conversion efforts, but quite pleased that I managed to Frankenstein him back together with some greenstuff. 


Church finished...

Well, I’ve noticed a couple of irksome things now it’s done, but I’m probably being over perfect and will just mess it up trying to correct a couple of things. So, done...

Trying the camera on my phone and it seems to be an improvement, as with most buildings it’s too big for the light box and I probably need a flat paper background again at some point...




The wallpaper has worked really well for the flint effect. Very grateful for the donation from Paul at the Wargames Terrain Tips & Talk Facebook group.


Doors made from scratch, following my usual design of pop in and pop out as open or closed. 

 


The altar is removable, the grave isn’t... might do a font, but for now that’s the interior. The altar was redone completely from my original one, just foampvc and plasticard on a blue insulation foam block. Quite pleased with that.