Sunday 23 June 2024


Some wetlands terrain bits. These have taken a long long time to finish. 

This was my test piece using plasticard scraps, tufts, static grass and UV resin. The key unknown was how the resin would react to grass. It’s kind of lumpy, but also could get drawn up the grass/tufts which was something I’d need to avoid.

But first I had to build them. I decided to use 2mm foampvc for the raised bits, which would give a deeper pour (2mm less some for texture and grass). The edges were wide so I could try for a gradual slope and the base was 0.5mm plasticard. This was a mistake (see later).

They were textured and grass added. I used winter/dead static grass to give a decayed tone, but gradually added some of my usual spring and added these to the edges, subsequently adding more spring towards the edge. Tufts were dead shade from WWS. although these were later replaced with winter and autumn from Geek Gaming Scenics. The WWS ones were just too regularly shaped it didn’t look natural.

The pours took an age. Some of the areas were too wide with hindsight and would take a full day on the window sill to set completely - I have a UV light, which sets it, but finger prints are a hazard, so direct sunlight was required. And the heat reaction of the resin setting warped the plasticard. Bugger.

Mistakes were made, so when the resin was done I needed to bend the boards back and sand down the heat sag a bit. I also needed to grass again. This hid dodgy pours, blemishes and allowed a more ragged uneven ‘shoreline’ than the original's cut out foampvc bits. Glue was painted on the resin in wiggly lines for mid water tufts and the new tufts were added. Some small flock bushes were also added. I also added something I’d forgotten to add, a sunken barrel and some logs. I also added some more resin on the banks for shallower areas, as they didn’t look boggy enough for me. I smoothed these out as best I could before more waiting for the resin. These then needed grass to redo the ragged bank look. So much waiting. But they look ok. I’d do some things differently if I was to redo them, but these will do.

This pic is the old tufts:

And  the new again for comparison:

No comments: